Welcome Home Baby Boy!
We came home yesterday late afternoon!
I felt good & ready, but when we got home I must admit I was a little overwhelmed. At the hospital everything is so predictable, they bring your food, get you what you need & are there to answer questions. When we walked in the door I was like what do we do now??
My Mom brought us dinner & went & picked up a few groceries to get us thru the next several days. What a HUGE help!!! I knew I needed to go to the store before going to the hospital, but ran out of time.
We have had a few visitors, but over all have just been hanging out as a family! I can't imagine him not being here already! I am so in love with him & all I do is sit & watch him!
We found out before leaving yesterday that is billirubin is a little high at 11.4. Since he is breastfeeding, my milk hasn't come in yet & it had risen since the previous check we were sent home with formula & a Billi Blanket. I know it isn't a big deal, but as an emotional new Mommy I was a little upset about it. The good thing is he doesn't have to take a bottle we can syringe feed him the little amount he needs after he breast feeds. The billi blanket is a pain because the cord is so short, but we are surviving. He can come off to feed which helps. It is just hard when people want to come see him & he is stuck in our bedroom. Either way what is best for our lil guy is what we will do!
This morning we went to have is level checked again. Our pediatrician (which I love!) called about an hour later & said it had gone up a tad to 11.7. She said in her eyes it was the same as before & not a big enough increase to worry her. Another good thing is my milk is starting to come in! She said we don't have to supplement unless he has a short feeding or doesn't seem to be getting very much. She does want him to stay on the billi blanket until Monday at least when we will go for our doctor's visit & have his level rechecked. She thinks it may rise a little more before it starts to come down. We are to watch him & if he isn't eating, having wet/poopy diapers or seems lethargic we are to call.
Other than that I am feeling good! I am not really all that sore & am able to move around easily. The biggest issue I am having right now is my breasts are hurting so much!! Breastfeeding is an amazing experience, but defiantly takes a lot of patients & will. As my milk is coming in I am becoming more engorged, slowly which I am thankful for. He is a good latcher & feeds about 15 to 20 on each breast each feeding! Everyone says that is really good.
5 comments:
Alex was jaundice when he was born, but we didn't have to do the blanket. It was awful having to have his heel pricked so much, though. A little advice, which I'm sure you've heard...it gets easier when your milk comes in. I was a sobbing mess until then!
Whitney- hope things continue to go well and I'm sure that bili will start to fly down in the next couple of days. Take care of yourself and continued good luck with breastfeeding (and the engorgement- it truly hurts worse than your other affected body parts!). It's totally worth it and you're lucky he's a good eater! Gotta love those glowin' babies!!
Love,
Tiff
I am glad to hear that you are adjusting to home life! He must look like a little glow worm in that kangaroo blanket. :) I am so glad to hear that breastfeeding is going well. Consider yourself lucky - I finally gave in to the pressure. It took me 2 days to get enough to make an ounce. Needless to say, it just seemed impossible. I am still having a hard time with not being able to breastfeed, but it just didn't work out and I know it was nothing I could help. We just had a rough start!!!
I have a ton of breastfeeding supplies that I will send your way! I even have a couple more cute hooter covers too! :)
You guys are such great parents, Drake is a very special boy to have you guys. Whitney you look great, I can't believe how the weight has come off. Maybe I should have a baby:)
Whit,
Hang in there the sore nipple thing will go away soon. I used the Gerber Sore Nipple Pads and but them in the fridge--Boy did it help when they were on fire--HAHA! Good Luck! April
Post a Comment