Our Family

Our Family
December 2009

Monday, April 27, 2009

38 Week Appointment & The Plan

Today I went to my 38 week appointment. I went in with the intention of speaking up about my concerns with my blood pressure & the way I have been feeling. As all of you know my blood pressure has been up & down for a couple months now. Well, the last couple weeks we have been hitting top numbers (150-160/100) & over the weekend the symptoms starting rearing their head. 

After last Sunday nights visit to L&D & the protein showing up in my urine I was ready to talk about a plan. The way I look at it is we I am now full term, why would we put me or the baby in any sort of danger? To top things off why should I have to keep calling in to work if we can go ahead & deliver the baby. 

So I called this morning & talked with the nurse to make sure my doctor knew before my appointment what had happened over the weekend & that the on call doctor had sent me in to be evaluated & about the 24 hour urine. I also explained I was concerned & did not like the way things were heading. 

So when I got there today my doctor already knew what was going on. The nurse took my blood pressure & low & behold it was 150/100. The whole routine of lay on your left side & I will be back bit. It went down to 133/88. Still not great, but better. 

My doctor came in & I voiced my concerns. She agreed & we made a plan of action.

They will call me tomorrow (Tuesday) with my results of the 24 hour urine test. If there is any protein in the urine we will be induced Wednesday morning. If there is no protein she will see me again this week in the office & we will induce by next Tuesday (if I don't go by myself before than). Either way we will have a baby by then. She then said I don't want you going back to work & to take it easy, not bed rest per say, but not running around crazy. I returned with, then we need to have a baby because I will need to start my leave, I can't just keep calling in. 

Anyway, that is the plan as of now. We are excited & hopeful to be meeting our baby Drake on Wednesday, but are trying not to get our hopes up just in case. :)

On a good note she doesn't think it will take much Pictocin to get me into labor. She thinks I just need a "kick start" & will then go on my own. I have officially dropped, he is engaged, cervix is thinned, soft & variable, & still at a 2. 

I am both excited & nervous! It is crazy to think we could be parents after tomorrow. I can't wait to see what he looks like, we haven't had an ultrasound since 18 weeks! Plus, the relief of knowing that he is okay & healthy will be overwhelming. 

I will post tomorrow once we know the results of the urine collection. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you and Dustin! Hopefully very soon you will be holding baby Drake in your arms. Can't wait to see pics of your new little family!

Amber said...

YEA! Just what I needed to hear after getting NO sleep last night. What great news! Way to be aggressive. Sometimes we just have to be an advocate for ourselves, which the doctor should be doing.

You are going to be a mommy no later than next week - possibly today! Make sure you text me as soon as you know something! All these past few difficult weeks will be sooooo worth it. Even in the middle of the night when they are screaming for hours - it just takes a little more energy to see it that way! :) I cannot wait to meet Drake - Evan is ready to have his friend to play with!